Reminiscing about last year’s #SOTU #WHTweetup and wishing I could join everyone for this year’s #WHSocial! Not to worry, I will be joining virtually and watching the enhanced feed and tweeting away, as per usual. For those lucky few who will have a seat in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building during the State of the Union, here’s a few tips to help you get the most from your day in our Nation’s Capital:
- Use tools like TweetDeck or HootSuite to view streams of those you follow, those who follow you, and hashtag searches.
- Reach out to your alma matter, let them know about what you’re doing. Engage them in how current students can follow along & participate.
- Bookmark this link for complete search results of the #WHSocial hashtag: https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=%23WHSocial&src=savs
- Follow the twitter accounts of your local media and media personalities. Share the experience with your local community.
- Charge! Charge! Charge! Batteries and yourself!
- Choose an issue. Research it. Have a list of questions ready to go! You’re interacting with the President’s advisors!
- Join a group and enjoy dinner before the SOTU. Old Ebbitt Grill is historic and close to the White House. (make reservations!)
- Beware the Twitter Tweet limit! Read more here…
- Connect your networks. For one day, connect Twitter to Facebook, Google+, Tumblr, etc. Share the experience!
- Keep an open mind. You’ll be surrounded (physical and virtually) by opposing opinions of every kind!
- Hey, it’s a long day. Make sure and rest, as tough as it will be, and stay hydrated!
- Follow the official White House Twitter accounts: https://twitter.com/whitehouse/whitehouseaccounts/members
- Dress sharp! You’ll be on camera and forever part of history.
- Are you giving your fingers and thumbs a workout today? Here are some good exercise tips http://www.livestrong.com/article/335235-thumb-and-finger-exercises
- Expected the unexpected! Last year’s group enjoyed a lunchtime meeting with @aneeshchopra and @mikeyk.
- Have fun and keep it real. Real people, real issues, real discussion!
Think about it, #WHSocial invitees, in some small way, you are working for the President!